Our family has its roots in East Africa. We are passionate about Zanzibar and love the Island, the people and its spectacular natural environment. When we came to Zanzibar over 25 years ago, and set foot on our world renowned beach, we decided to use our degrees from the Cornell School of Hotel Management to combine the highest standards in hospitality with the personalization and warmth of a family owned and run business reflecting the beauty, culture, exoticism and the uniqueness of Zanzibar. We are not a chain and we have no formula and.. no, we do not have a fleet of resorts in other Indian Ocean islands. We are here, in every sense of the word.
We did not choose our location by accident. We are located on a beautiful, peaceful beach chosen by Conde Nast Traveler as one of the top island beaches in the world. Of course, when we came, hardly any journalists or travel writers had ever visited our beach-we were true explorers, searching for the perfect spot. We are delighted that the most prestigious Travel magazine in the world approved of our choice!
Why the South East Coast?
We might be a little bit biased, but we really do feel that the South East Coast gives visitors the chance to see and feel the real Zanzibar beach experience.
- En route to The Zanzibar Collection is the Jozani forest, home to the Red Colobus monkey. A species unique to Zanzibar
- We are located in a part of Zanzibar that is relatively undeveloped with few hotels, charming fishing villages and a spectacular natural environment.
- Our beach is simply one of the best in Zanzibar, if not East Africa, if not the world.
- Our beautiful coral reef which stretches across our coast, makes swimming safe, snorkeling spectacular and has ensured that we have the finest white powder sand beach.
- We are a quick drive to Kizimkazi, home of the famed Dolphin laguna where you can swim with Dolphins. Add to that breathtaking diving, water sports and reef safaris and you can experience the great variety of marine life that has makes Zanzibar special.
Our Proudest Contribution
One of our proudest achievements has been the wonderful journey of training and educating an entire generation of Zanzibaris and Tanzanians in developing a skill that they can use for the rest of their lives. We have committed ourselves to training and employing local Zanzibaris through our Zanzibar hospitality education programs. English classes are provided for our staff. Many of our best managers have risen through the ranks to achieve their full potential. It is a testament to us that world renowned, international hotel companies in Zanzibar try to poach our staff on a regular basis. An annoying habit that we nevertheless consider to be a feather in our cap.
Journeys Through Zanzibar
We know, more than anyone how charming and kind the Zanzibari people are and want you to experience the real Zanzibar with a selection of journeys and experiences unique to the Zanzibar collection to see another side of the island that most tourists will miss. At the Zanzibar Collection, you are not a tourist but a visitor in our home.
The Zanzibar Experience
- Visit our local village of Bwejuu and see how Zanzibaris shop live and work. See the school, a typical house and walk around accompanied by our guide who is from the Village. You will have a soda at the local kiosk and see the goings on in Bwejuu. All proceeds go to the village of Bwejuu fund.
- Let us organize a Swahili cooking lesson for you with our chefs. Make a selection from our menu of different classical Swahili dishes. Roll your sleeves up and start rolling Chapatis. A Great experience for couples, a great experience for the family and a great experience for the kids.
- Let us teach you how to play Bao. This African board game traditionally played with 24 baobab seeds. Bao is thought to be one of the oldest…
- Reef safari: On low tide walk out to the spectacular Indian ocean reef full of corals and marine life with our qualified guide who will show you the way and point out interesting and unique corals and marine life.
- Dive the Indian Ocean with the only national Geographic Registered dive center on the island of Zanzibar. Featuring an innovative turtle rescue program which is done with the local fishermen.
- Sail a Swahili dhow/ Ngalawa on the Indian Ocean. We have a traditional dhow which is a beauty to sail. Join an experienced Zanzibar seafarer in sailing the dhow to the Mchamvi Mangroves and Peninsula. The same way that has been done for hundreds of years and many generations
- Learn to climb a coconut palm. Let our agile and amazing gardeners show you the way up a coconut palm with nothing more than a rope! Learn to weave palm leaves and make a hat or mat for a memory of Zanzibar
Zanzibar Kids Experience
- Learn a traditional Swahili song and dance
- Some key Swahili words and phrases which will take your kids places (in Zanzibar)
- Learn to make Chapatis and other fun Zanzibari treats
- Learn to make Makuti hat